"Safe Harbor Steve"

June 13, 2017

photo of our Donation Coordinator, Steve, putting together a bed

Our Donation Coordinator, Steve Randolph, shares why he works with Safe Harbor and the importance of positive male role models in the movement to end domestic violence.

My name is Steven Randolph, and I am the Donation Coordinator for Safe Harbor. This position gets me involved with all three shelters and many of the events that we have throughout the year. I am able to get out into the community to meet those who generously donate furniture to us and explain what Safe Harbor is about and some of the services we offer. Many of our donors wonder where their donation will end up and are surprised and excited to learn that 90% of the furniture donated is given directly to our clients and their children who are moving out of the shelter (with the other 10% going to our Resale Shop to raise funds for our mission). Most of the families moving from our shelters into new homes have little or nothing when they leave. I am proud that we can help to furnish a new home for them. There’s nothing like the look on the face of a child when you bring in their very own bed that they get to sleep in that night.

I feel that it is important for the families in our shelters to see a man working for this organization. I try my best to show that there are good men who want to be a part of the solution. I think it is important for survivors to understand that I am there to help as well. It gives them a chance to see the positive side of manhood instead of the many negative male stigmas associated with domestic violence.

When I first started with Safe Harbor, I was given a uniform Safe Harbor shirt to wear on the job. I laughed, because when I saw the name on the shirt, it said “Safe Harbor” with “Steve” directly underneath our logo. It sounded like the name of some kind of super hero – “Safe Harbor Steve”. Little did I know at the time how many times I would feel like a super hero when walking alongside the families we serve. They say when you love what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life. I am proud to be a part of Safe Harbor and the work we do. Safe Harbor is a life-saving service for so many.
My name is Steve Randolph, but you can call me “Safe Harbor Steve”.

If you have furniture donations to share with Safe Harbor, please call me to schedule a pick-up time – 864.385.7946.

I am a survivor of domestic violence.

“I didn’t know that I was being abused...

I am a survivor of domestic violence.

“I didn’t know that I was being abused because my definition of abuse looked different. My husband pushed me, but most of my suffering was verbal and psychological. I left my husband to protect our young daughter. Almost immediately I felt the weight of his oppression begin to lift. I could see a difference in my daughter as well. Then he broke into my home and assaulted me in-front of her.

I sought help and was led to Safe Harbor. My daughter and I are in counseling now. I am sorting out the mess that abuse has caused. I am finding my voice and seeking opportunities to grow and better my life as well as my daughter's. She will gauge her self-worth from my own self-worth. I must show her that she deserves the best, by expecting the best for myself.

Many years I suffered in silence. By telling my story and being honest with friends and family, I am taking control of my life again.”

- Beth



When you give to Safe Harbor, 82 cents of every dollar goes directly to our intervention services and prevention initiatives to break the cycle of domestic violence in the Upstate of South Carolina. 

Donate Now


We are available to provide domestic violence education and information about Safe Harbor’s services through speaking engagements, trainings, workshops and awareness campaigns.





Safe Harbor Resale Shop operates solely on donations from our generous community. Donations are tax deductible and make a difference in the lives of our clients.  



Your donated furniture can support our clients as they transition out of our programs and start a new life, and can also raise money for Safe Harbor by going to our Resale Shop to be re-sold.



Give us your email address and we will keep you up to date on the latest happenings at Safe Harbor.

Error Message