As protocols, recommendations and closings continue to change and grow regarding the COVID-19/coronavirus pandemic, we’re taking steps to adapt in order to meet the needs of our clients and community-at-large. Please take time to read the following updates that Safe Harbor is implementing in order to follow health guidelines for prevention and social distancing, while also responding to the needs of survivors of domestic violence and our larger community. For a quick overview of our service updates you can watch this short video in English or Spanish.
1. Shelter Admissions – Our shelter program is open. We are able to admit individuals and families who are fleeing domestic violence into our shelter program. Anyone who may need our services should continue to call our 24/7 line at 1.800.291.2139 (select option 1 to speak with someone) to ask questions or complete a phone intake.
Safe Harbor is committed to taking all necessary measures for the health and safety of individuals and families in our shelter program. We have developed and implemented social distancing and enhanced sanitation protocols in our shelters in order to maximize the health and safety of all of our clients and staff in a community living environment. In order to comply with CDC best practices to prevent the spread of illness, the bed count in our shelters has been reduced, limiting the number of clients/families we will be able to accommodate in shelters at one time. For this reason, we are also using hotel stays for some families in our shelter program, in order to be able to serve a larger number of victims/families who are fleeing domestic violence situations. We continue to provide on-site staff availability, mobile advocacy and case management, and access to all basic essential needs (food, toiletries, baby/children’s supplies, etc.) in our shelters and hotel locations.
Our safety planning guide may also provide helpful information and resources for those who are experiencing domestic violence.
2. Community-Based Services – We are providing our community-based services (including counseling, child and family counseling, case management, assistance with Orders of Protection, and our Housing Assistance Program) via telephone and online platforms. Staff members are working with current and new clients to determine safe ways for individuals to connect with us remotely.
Our educational classes (domestic violence education and parenting classes) will also meet through online platforms during this time.
Anyone who may need our services should continue to call our 24/7 line at 1.800.291.2139 (select option 1 to speak with someone) to complete a phone intake. Our safety planning guide may also provide helpful information and resources for those who are experiencing domestic violence.
3. Support Groups – Our Empowering Survivors support group is being offered virtually via Zoom through June 2020. Groups take place on Monday evenings from 6-7:30pm. For more information or to join the group, please email email@example.com.
4. Prevention – Our Prevention Team has developed REP lessons and worksheets through online platforms that can be used by our schools during this time of e-learning. If you and your teen (7th grade and up) are interested in accessing our online healthy relationship lessons, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Outreach Events – Safe Harbor continues to offer outreach activities such as trainings and speaking engagements, primarily via digital or online platforms. If your business, workplace, faith organization, or another group would like training and/or information about our services or domestic violence, please request a speaker on our website or call 864.467.1177.
Safe Harbor is also able to provide in-person outreach activities such as speaking engagements, trainings, and tabling with CDC recommended safety measures in place. To maintain the safety of our communities as well as to minimize the spread of COVID-19 we encourage you to consider hosting a virtual event. If this is not possible, we request that these CDC safety measures are in place for any in-person outreach activity:
- Everyone over the age of two must wear a mask over their mouth and nose during the event
- There must be enough space for people to have a safe distance of at least 6 feet
- Anyone that feels sick should stay at home
- Review CDC safety guidelines
6. Volunteers – We are limiting individual and group volunteer activities in order to comply with social distancing and prevent the spread of illness within our shelters and other locations. Volunteer trainings and information will be offered virtually during this time. Please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Lisa Nalley, to learn more about current volunteer opportunities that are available.
7. Resale Shop – Safe Harbor Resale Shop hours are Monday-Saturday from 9am-5pm. Donation drop-off hours are Monday-Saturday from 9am-4pm. We encourage you to follow Safe Harbor Resale Shop on Facebook and Instagram for the latest happenings.
8. Shelter Donations – To see our current needs, please visit our Amazon Wishlist.
**Donations from this list can be dropped at our community offices – 429 N. Main St., Greenville, SC 29601. Please contact email@example.com prior to dropping off donations so we can be sure that someone will be available to receive them, as many of our staff are currently working from home.
9. Fashion with a Passion – You haven't seen an event like this... mark your calendars for Thursday, October 1, 2020 for Fashion with a Passion virtual-style!
After careful thought and consideration, Safe Harbor has decided to host Fashion with a Passion virtually this year. Our amazing committee is working hard to make this the most exciting and surprising virtual event you’ll attend this year! The night of fashion, food and fun will still feature all of the beloved elements of FWAP, including…
- A delicious food and wine package from Rick Erwin’s, so you can enjoy the show on your own terms – host a Girls Night In, have a virtual date night, or join a watch party!
- An awesome virtual silent auction with online bidding
- An exciting live auction hosted via livestream with mobile bidding
- A New York-style runway show featuring the latest Fall styles from the Upstate’s finest boutiques
- Plus, stay tuned for other new and exciting interactive elements!
We know this is an uncertain time for all of us. Please take the steps you need to care for yourself, to be safe and healthy, and reach out to us at 864.467.1177 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns. Please also follow us on Facebook, Facebook Español, Instagram and Twitter for updates, announcements and helpful information for those who may be experiencing domestic violence during this time. Thank you so much for your ongoing support for Safe Harbor.